You could win BIG
just for helping families
with the Ronald McDonald House Ottawa “Play for 10K”!
Make a donation to the Ronald McDonald House HERE and request a song.
You could get an on-air shout out and automatically qualify to win $10,000!
Every donation counts – as Ronald McDonald House Ottawa is more than doubling its capacity – making room for all families travelling to receive critical pediatric care.
RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE OTTAWA FACTS
- The House currently has: 14 bedrooms, a large communal kitchen and dining room, a library, a games room, a TV room, outside grounds to play in and more. Homecooked meals cooked by our volunteers; movie nights; birthday and holiday celebrations; a beautiful outdoor serene space; and pet and music therapy visits, among many others.
- We have represented families from every province and territory in Canada except the Northwest Territories
- We operate at an occupancy rate of 100%, while our wait list continues to grow (in one year we turned away nearly 150 families)
- We aim to annually provide 3,100 meals in House to the families staying here, donated through our Meals That Heal
- We have provided approximately 170,000 Nights of Comfort for families.
- Our longest stay was a family from Nunavut, 734 nights at the RMHCO, saving them over 2 years’ worth of living expenses, projected at over $200,000.
- We’ve had 12 families stay over a year, 36 families longer than 200 nights, and 107 families over 100 nights.
- Within CHEO we operate 2 family rooms staffed by volunteers, one in Pediatric Intensive Care on floor 3, and another on the 5th
- The RMHCO rooms within the hospital offer large, comfortable lounge space, snacks, coffee and tea, shower facilities, laundry services and 4 over night sleep rooms. Most often, these rooms are used by families who live in Ottawa offering the comforts of home within the hospital.
- Both of our Family Rooms are heavily used, in one year alone, we saw over 28,000 visitors.
OUR NEW HOUSE
- We need to add 22 rooms to meet the current needs, for a total of 36 bedrooms.
- During an average year we can have around 500 family-visits, but with this new build we can accommodate over 1,300 family-visits per year.
- We are breaking ground this spring to make room for ALL families who need a home-away-from-home while their child seeks medical care.
- We will have spaces tailored to the diverse needs of every family.
- Our parcel of land is large enough that we do not have to move to grow, we are 167 steps door-to-door from CHEO.
- Adding this “new house” will shorten the eligibility distance for families living closer than 80km away.
- Our carbon-neutral House will be Rick Hansen Foundation Certified, following the highest level of accessibility standards, and built to the LEED Gold standard.