SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Hailey And Justin Bieber Hit The Streets Of Paris For A Summer Date Night

The Biebers are pulling out all the stops during their summer trip to Paris.

Justin and Hailey, who stepped out Monday night for a date night in the City of Lights, dressed to the nines, with the model, 24, in a backless LaQuan Smith dress that featured wraparound detail and the Canadian popstar, 27, wore a suit and sneakers.

Along with her dress, Hailey wore open-toe heels, a neat bun, stylish sunglasses. When her back was turned, cupping bruises were noticeable on her back. Cupping is a therapy that increases blood circulation to the area where the cups are placed.

RELATED: Justin Bieber Pretended That Diplo Had The Wrong Number In Hilarious TikTok Text Exchange

The pair were on their way to meet with French President Emmanuel Macron.

Bieber even documented the visit on Instagram, sharing a photo of their meeting with Hailey, Macron and his wife Brigitte Macron.

RELATED: Justin Bieber Shares All-Star ‘Peaches’ Remix Featuring Ludacris, Usher & Snoop Dogg

Hailey and Justin have been in Paris for a few days, also seen stepping out to dine at Le Stresa restaurant.

The stunner wore a stylish midi dress while Justin went casual in a Drew hoodie.

© 2021 Entertainment Tonight Canada, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

‘This cannot persist’: Military ombudsman blasts ‘vested political interests' impeding office

WATCH LIVE: Military ombudsman Gregory Lick holds a press conference.

The Canadian Forces ombudsman released a scathing indictment on Tuesday, raising the spectre of political interference in the work of his office at a time when the military is under intense public scrutiny over allegations of high-level sexual misconduct.

Gregory Lick says “vested political interests” complicate the office’s work — often just prior to elections or in times of crisis — and suggests the ombudsman’s office be removed from under the authority of the minister of national defence.

He said because his office’s existence is not enshrined in law, every ombudsman operates under the fear that their authority to probe wrongdoing and grievances could be revoked at any time, and that there have been “subtle and insidious” instances that suggest “a pattern of personal and institutional reprisal” by department officials against the members of the office for their work.

“While it is generally easy to keep the reporting relationship with the Ministers of National Defence arms-length and apolitical, vested political interests may become apparent just prior to an election period or in times of crisis,” Lick wrote in the paper.

In a speech addressing his concerns, Lick was particularly blunt.

“When leaders turn a blind eye to our recommendations and concerns in order to advance political interests and their own self-preservation or career advancement, it is the members of the defence community that suffer the consequences,” he said on Tuesday morning.

“It is clear that inaction is rewarded far more than action.”

The lack of action taken in the more than four months since Global News first reported on allegations of high-level sexual misconduct have “bitterly proved this point,” he continued.

“The erratic behaviour of leadership defies common sense or reason. The concept of Ministerial accountability has been absent,” Lick said in his speech, noting the failures by Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan as well as senior government and military leaders to act amounts to a risk to national security.

“Our Allies are watching these events unfold in real time. Worse, those who are out to do us harm are also watching,” he said.

“The negative impacts of this crisis on recruitment and retention and on those directly implicated in these misconduct situations within the CAF risk threatening national security.

“Action must be taken now.”

The role of the military ombudsman came into the spotlight earlier this year after Global News reported Gen. Jonathan Vance is facing allegations of inappropriate behaviour, which he denies.

One of those allegations centred around an informal complaint shared with Lick’s predecessor, Gary Walbourne, in 2018 by a woman who said she had received a message from Vance’s military email account in 2012 suggesting the two take a trip to a clothing-optional vacation destination.

Vance denies any inappropriate behaviour and has told Global News that if he did make that suggestion, he would have meant it as a joke and would be willing to apologize.

Operation Honour includes under its definition of sexual misconduct “jokes of a sexual nature.”

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan admitted during parliamentary committee testimony that he did not look at evidence of that complaint that Walbourne testified he tried to share with the minister in March 2018.

Sajjan argued doing so would’ve amounted to “political interference” — an assertion rejected by both Walbourne, Lick, and the head of the military police’s investigative branch.

Yet while Sajjan has said the government accepts the recommendations of repeated experts dating back years that there needs to be an independent reporting structure put in place for sexual misconduct in the military, he has so far done little to implement that change other than order a review of the matter.

That review, led by former Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour, must be completed within 12 months, though that can be extended, and there’s no clarity on when Sajjan plans to actually act.

His inaction has led to repeated calls from both members of the defence community and the political opposition for Sajjan to either resign or be fired — something Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has refused.

READ MORE: Military ombudsman’s limited role in misconduct complaints flagged repeatedly since 2014

Lick said the military has “never before been under such extensive public scrutiny” as it is now in the wake of multiple allegations against current and former senior leaders, and a national reckoning over the institution’s longstanding failures to address sexual misconduct.

He added no measures the military might put in place will solve the problem until there is “independent civilian oversight” of the force.

But he warned there has long been “no real political imperative to act” to give his office teeth.

“Other nations have opted to give their military oversight bodies proper legislated authorities with enough teeth to ensure that their recommendations are actioned,” Lick wrote.

“It is a disgrace that Canada is the only country in the Five Eyes not to have done so.”

The only way to achieve that independence would be for the office to report into Parliament, he added.

— More to come.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Philippines' Duterte threatens to jail those who refuse COVID-19 vaccine

WATCH: Amid delays of Pfizer vaccine shipments, some Canadians who have had their first COVID-19 vaccine are apprehensive about switching to the Moderna vaccine as their second shot. But as Jamie Mauracher explains, health officials and experts insist the best shot is the first shot you can get.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte is threatening to jail any citizen who refuses to get a COVID-19 vaccine as the country grapples with low vaccination rates and one of the worst coronavirus outbreaks in Asia.

“You choose,” he said during a televised address on Monday. “Vaccine, or I will have you jailed.”

Duterte issued the threat amid reports of low turnouts at vaccination sites in the capital city of Manila. The country has seen more than 1.3 million cases and 23,000 coronavirus infections to date. Officials say about 2.1 million of the nation’s 110 million people have been fully vaccinated.

“Don’t get me wrong, there is a crisis in this country,” Duterte said during his address. “I’m just exasperated by Filipinos not heeding the government.”

Read more:
Anti-vax doctor mocked for claiming that shots will ‘magnetize’ people

Duterte also urged anyone who doesn’t want to get the vaccine to leave the country or face arrest.

“Don’t force my hand into it,” he said. “Nobody wants that.”

Health officials in the country have said that the vaccine is voluntary, though they have strongly encouraged people to get it.

Vaccine hesitancy has surged in the Philippines in recent years after a botched dengue vaccination program led to the deaths of several children in 2017.

Duterte got the vaccine in May in a moment later posted on social media.

Edre Olalia, president of the National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers, says it would be illegal to jail citizens for refusing a coronavirus vaccine.

“There is no law that specifically empowers the president to order such arrests for said reasons, even if this is a health emergency,” Olalia told the New York Times.

A spokesperson for Duterte insisted that the president can make vaccinations compulsory.

Duterte has a long history of threatening — and following through on — extreme punishments for people whom he sees as threatening to society. For example, more than 6,100 people have been killed since he was elected on a promise to kill drug dealers in 2016. He has continued to pursue that agenda throughout his presidency, including last year when he told his customs chief to shoot drug smugglers.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) recently launched an inquiry into Duterte’s bloody war on drugs, despite his move to pull out of the organization in 2018.

Read more:
Philippines’ Duterte says he won’t cooperate with ICC probe into drug war killings

Duterte also lashed out at the ICC during his address on Monday, when he dismissed the inquiry as “bulls—.”

“Why would I defend or face an accusation before white people?” he said. “You must be crazy.”

The Philippines continues to struggle with sourcing vaccines for its population. The country recently signed a deal for 40 million doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, which will add to its existing supply of about 12.7 million doses.

With files from Reuters

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

T-Pain Says Usher’s Comments Caused Him To Become Depressed

T-Pain is getting honest about mental health.

The king of Auto-Tune spoke about how he fell into depression after Usher told him he “f**ked up music”.

T-Pain made the confession in Netflix’s upcoming series “This Is Pop”.

RELATED: Nicki Minaj Responds After T-Pain Expresses His Disappointment That She Shut Him Down For A Collab

“Usher was my friend. I really respect Usher. And he said, ‘I’m gonna tell you something, man. You kinda f**ked up music,'” he said.

“And then he was like, ‘Yeah man you really f**ked up music for real singers,'” he continued. “I was like, ‘What did I do? I came out and I used Auto-Tune.’ He was like, ‘Yeah, you f**ked it up.’ I’m like, ‘But I used it, I didn’t tell everybody else to start using it.'”

RELATED: Watch T-Pain’s Reaction When He Realizes He’s Been Ignoring Fergie, Viola Davis & More On Instagram For 2 Years

It was that moment that he said first started his depression.

Adding, “That is the very moment, and I don’t even think I realized this for a long time, but that’s the very moment that started a four-year depression for me.”

The eight-part series will tell untold stories from some of the biggest musicians included Brandi Carlile, Shania Twain, Babyface, Chuck D, ABBA’s Benny Anderson as well as members of Boys II Men and Backstreet Boys.

“This Is Pop” will be released on Netflix on June 22.
If you or someone you know is in crisis and needs help, resources are available. In case of an emergency, please call 911 for immediate help.

The Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention, Depression Hurts and Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868 all offer ways of getting help if you, or someone you know, may be suffering from mental health issues.

© 2021 Entertainment Tonight Canada, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

COVID-19: Guelph Royals pull out of 2021 IBL season

The lights at Hastings Stadium will remain dark this summer with the Guelph Royals announcing the team will not participate in the 2021 Intercounty Baseball League season.

Uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic is being cited as the reason why the Royals have pulled the plug.

Read more:
Tokyo Olympics to allow up to 10,000 spectators per venue, despite COVID-19 warnings

“In addition to the issues affecting all of Ontario, there was the spectre of additional issues in Guelph including fan capacity limits and concessions,” the team and league said in a joint statement on Monday.

The IBL and its remaining seven clubs are still working toward a July 5 start date and a 30-game schedule.

The league said it is now dispersing Guelph’s players and will release an updated schedule, including a new playoff format, in the coming days.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

House fire at Stewart and Dalhousie streets in Peterborough remains under investigation

Peterborough police say they continue to investigate a fire at a boarded-up home last week.

The fire broke out on the evening of June 16 at a home at the corner of Stewart and Dalhousie streets.

Read more:
Fire tears through boarded up home at Dalhousie and Stewart streets in Peterborough

No one was injured.

On Tuesday, the Peterborough Police Service stated it continues to investigate what officers are calling a suspicious fire.

The case was handed over to police at the conclusion of the Office of the Fire Marshal’s investigation, police said.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Kingston police looking for information after cyclist allegedly struck by vehicle

Kingston police are asking witnesses to come forward after they say a cyclist was hit by a car over the weekend.

The collision took place around 10 p.m. Saturday night on John Counter Boulevard, east of Sir John A Macdonald Boulevard, police confirmed.

The cyclist was struck from behind and was thrown from the bike onto the windshield of the car.

Read more:
Cyclist seriously injured in north-end collision: Kingston police

The cyclist was taken to hospital with undetermined injuries.

The westbound lanes of John Counter Boulevard were closed for about seven hours during the investigation.

There is currently no word on charges, but police say the investigation is ongoing.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Cleanup begins after fatal tornado damages up to 100 homes north of Montreal

A video shared on social media shows a tornado that touched Monday afternoon in Mascouche, roughly 45 km northeast of Montreal. Police say one person died after taking refuge in a shed when the tornado hit.

Residents in Mascouche after taking stock of the extensive damage left behind from a tornado that swept through the suburb north of Montreal, leaving one person dead.

The tornado touched down in the area Monday afternoon as humidity, rain and thunderstorms descended on southern Quebec, prompting warnings from Environment Canada.

The weather event tore through the community, killing one man. The victim appeared to have taken refuge inside a shed when the tornado struck, according to police. Two other people were also injured.

READ MORE: Man dies after tornado touchdown in Mascouche, northeast of Montreal

Mayor Guillaume Tremblay says the city was caught off guard by the twister, but its emergency response plan was quickly put into action and worked well.

Quebec Public Security Minister Geneviève Guilbault described it as “extreme weather phenomenon” on social media.

“Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones,” she wrote. “Our government teams are mobilized on the ground to come to the aid of the disaster victims and to support the municipal authorities.”

Quebec Premier François Legault also expressed his condolences, saying his thoughts are with the man’s family.

As of Tuesday morning, a city spokesperson confirmed that anywhere from 50 to 100 homes were affected by the tornado. At least one family was also assisted by the Red Cross.

The tornado downed trees and snapped electrical wires. As a result, Hydro-Québec had to cut power in some areas.

As of 9 a.m., electricity is still out for about 1,000 homes. City officials say power is expected to be restored to at least half of those residences by mid day.

A couple console each other as they survey the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., northeast of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz

A couple console each other as they survey the damage after a tornado touched down in Mascouche, Que., northeast of Montreal, Monday, June 21, 2021. Dozens of homes were damaged and one death has been confirmed. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz

Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press

A cleanup is underway in the community, where emergency are clearing debris in affected areas and citizens are surveilling damage to their properties.

Some residents have already started repairs to their homes and roofs.

Environment Canada is expected to dispatch a specialist to the scene to examine the severity of the damage and get a better idea of the tornado’s strength.

with files from Global News’ Annabelle Olivier, Brayden Jagger Haines and The Canadian Press

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

2 Peterborough men charged with impaired driving in Minden Hills, Cavan Monaghan townships

Two Peterborough men face impaired driving charges following incidents on Sunday in the region.

In Minden Hills Township, both Haliburton Highlands OPP and City of Kawartha Lakes OPP responded to reports of a suspected impaired driver travelling on Highway 35. The suspect vehicle was found after “multiple complaints” were received, police said.

OPP determined the driver was under the influence of alcohol.

Read more:
Drug-impaired driver arrested at gunpoint after evading traffic stop: Peterborough police

Justin Fisher, 37, of Peterborough, was arrested and charged with two counts of impaired driving (alcohol, blood-alcohol concentration 80-plus).

His driver’s licence was suspended for 90 days and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.

He was released and is scheduled to appear in court in Minden on July 7.

Around 9:30 p.m. Peterborough Police Service officers found a vehicle in the ditch along Larmer Line in Cavan Monaghan Township, south of the city.

Officers noticed “obvious signs” of impairment with the driver.

Jason Mathews, 42, of Peterborough, was arrested and charged with impaired driving (alcohol), careless driving, driving a motor vehicle without a currently validated permit, and operating a motor vehicle without insurance.

He was issued an automatic 90-day driver’s licence suspension and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.

He was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear in court in Peterborough on July 14.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Bitcoin sinks below US$30,000 for 1st time since January amid China crackdown

El Salvador has become the first country in the world to adopt Bitcoin as legal tender after Congress approved President Nayib Bukele's proposal to embrace the cryptocurrency. With 62 out of 84 possible votes, lawmakers voted in favor of the move on Tuesday to create a law to adopt Bitcoin, despite concern about the potential impact on El Salvador's program with the International Monetary Fund.

Bitcoin fell below US$30,000 for the first time in nearly five months as China’s latest crackdown on cryptocurrencies weighed.

The world’s largest cryptocurrency fell as much as 6.4 per cent to US$29,614, its lowest since Jan. 27. As of 1232 GMT it was down 4.2 per cent.

(Reporting by Thyagaraju Adinarayan; editing by Tom Wilson)

 

© 2021 Reuters

You May Also Like

Top Stories