Leafs pick forward Matthew Knies in NHL draft

TORONTO – The Toronto Maple Leafs have finally made their first selection of this year’s NHL entry draft, choosing forward Matthew Knies with the 57th overall pick on Saturday.

Knies, a six-foot-two, 210-pound left-winger, spent last season with the Tri-City Storm in the USHL, putting up 42 points (17 goals, 25 assists) in 44 games.

A native of Phoenix, Ariz., he came into the draft as the No. 37-ranked North American skater and has committed to playing at the University of Minnesota in the fall.

Toronto dealt its first-round pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets in April in exchange for forward Nick Foligno.

The Leafs are thin on selections in later rounds, too, holding just the No. 153 and 185 picks.

The Leafs dominated the North Division through the pandemic-condensed 56-game season, posting a 35-14-7 record before the Montreal Canadiens eliminated them from the first round of the playoffs in a tightly contested seven-game series.

Last year, Russian winger Rodion Amirov was Toronto’s top selection, going 15th overall.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 23, 2021.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Hunt for aggressive coyotes underway after 2nd Stanley Park attack this week

Biologist Colleen Cassady St. Clair shares insight on what might be causing the increase in aggressive coyote activity in Stanley Park

Coyotes attacked a second person in as many days in Stanley Park on Thursday, as officials continue to grapple with a rise in aggressive incidents involving the animals.

The BC Conservation Officer Service said the latest incident involved a man being bitten on the leg near the Stanley Park Pitch and Putt on the evening of July 22.

Read more:
Coyote bites another Stanley Park jogger a week after 4 of the animals put down

The Vancouver Park Board has closed all trails between the aquarium and Brockton Oval.

There have been more than 30 attacks or aggressive incidents in the park since December, including one where a coyote bit a toddler and another that left a woman with a detached hamstring and nerve damage.

Conservation officers had already been deployed to the park after coyotes attacked a jogger on Wednesday evening.

“Conservation officers are continuing to patrol the area and are attempting to locate and destroy the coyote(s) involved in these attacks,” the service said Friday.

“The COS is focusing trapping efforts to specific areas to minimize the chances of catching a non-target coyote. Any coyotes captured that do not match the profile of the offending animal will be released.”

Read more:
Four coyotes euthanized after toddler attacked in Stanley Park

Officers killed four coyotes the week prior, following the attack on the toddler.

The Conservation Officer Service said it is working with the city, biologists and local organizations on a long-term strategy to deal with the aggressive coyote problem.

Officials have blamed the spike in aggressive encounters on people feeding coyotes, who they say have lost their fear of humans.

Anyone who sees a coyote is advised to try and scare it away by shouting and waving their arms or throwing rocks or dirt at them.

Feeding wildlife, including coyotes, is illegal.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

International passengers may now be separated based on COVID vaccination status at Pearson airport

WATCH ABOVE: Canada will soon open its border to those who are fully vaccinated, but only if they received one approved by Health Canada.

International passengers arriving at Toronto Pearson International Airport may now be separated into different lines based on their COVID-19 vaccination status.

A spokesperson for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) confirmed the new measure in an emailed statement to Global News on Saturday.

“Passengers entering Canada from the U.S. or another international destination may be split into vaccinated and non/partially-vaccinated queues prior to reaching Canada Customs,” Beverly MacDonald wrote.

Read more:
Ontario reports 170 COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths; 124K more vaccines administered

“This is a measure to help streamline the border clearance process as there are different entry requirements for vaccinated and non/partially-vaccinated travellers, which have been broadly communicated by the Government of Canada.”

Earlier this month, Canada lifted the 14-day quarantine requirement for those permitted to travel into the country who are fully vaccinated. They must still present a negative COVID-19 test result.

“We know that the arrivals experience is different for passengers than it was in pre-pandemic times, and we appreciate passengers’ patience as we work with all of our partners to implement Government of Canada requirements for international air travel,” MacDonald said.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Chatham, Ont. man dies after falling from TV antenna in industrial accident

Chatham-Kent, Ont., police say a man has died after a fatal industrial accident.

Police say around 1:30 p.m. Thursday, officers responded to an incident on Indian Creek Road West.

A 60-year-old Chatham-Kent man reportedly fell from a television antenna.

Read more:
Person in life-threatening condition after falling off roof in Brampton

Police say he sustained life-threatening injuries.

The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

His identity has not been released.

The Ministry of Labour has taken over the investigation.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

One man dead, 2 in hospital following crash in south Edmonton

Speed and alcohol may have led to a deadly early morning crash in south Edmonton.

Police say just before 3 a.m. Saturday a car carrying three people lost control and struck a light pole on Rabbit Hill Road approaching MacTaggart Drive.

A 20-year-old man riding in the rear passenger seat was thrown from the vehicle. He was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene.

The 19-year-old driver and his 21-year-old male passenger were taken to hospital for precautionary measures.

Investigators are looking into how fast the vehicle was travelling and whether alcohol may have also been a factor.

Rabbit Hill Road was closed for several hours, but has since reopened.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Winnipeg Jets select Russian forward in round two of 2021 NHL entry draft

The Winnipeg Jets figure to be one of the least active teams on the second day of the NHL entry draft, with selections in just the second, third and fifth rounds. Barring any trades of course.

Their status is a result of previous transactions with Vegas, Vancouver and Florida for Paul Stastny, Jordie Benn and Bogdan Kiselevich respectively.

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff began the day by selecting Russian right-winger Nikita Chibrikov with the 50th overall pick in the second round. It’s only the third time since the franchise relocated from Atlanta in 2011 that Winnipeg has taken a Russian player.

The Jets selected Center Pavel Kraskovsky in the sixth round in 2014 but he never came to North America, choosing instead to continue playing for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the KHL. Two years later in 2016, Winnipeg opted for goalie Mikhail Berdin of Team Russia U-18 with their sixth round pick. Berdin has been a standout with the Manitoba Moose of the AHL for the past three seasons.

Chibrikov is a five-foot-ten, 170-pound forward who scored one goal and had one assist in 16 games with St. Petersburg SKA of the KHL this past season.

During Friday’s first round, Winnipeg took 18-year-old center Chaz Lucius with what was officially the 18th overall pick in the draft. The six-foot-one, 185-pound center was actually the 17th player selected because Arizona had to forfeit the 11th choice. That was a result of a previous ruling by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman following an investigation into the Coyotes working out prospects prior to the 2020 draft which is a rules violation.

Lucius scored 13 goals and added five assists for 18 points in 12 USHL games for the U.S. national development team this past season. He had knee surgery in August that kept him off the ice until early in 2021. Then he had to miss the World U18 tournament in Dallas in late April because of a fever and quarantine protocols.

Lucius is committed to playing in his home state for the University of Minnesota Gophers this coming NCAA season.

Winnipegger Carson Lambos was the 25th player selected (26th overall) on the night, as the Minnesota Wild took the six-foot-one, 197-pound defenseman from the WHL Winnipeg Ice with the second pick of the first round.

Lambos was projected to go higher in the draft but missed most of the WHL’s pandemic-shortened season because of a medical procedure. He played just four games in total this past season: two for JyP HT in the Finnish League and two for Winnipeg in the WHL’s Regina Hub.

More to come…

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Man sought after woman repeatedly punched in the face and robbed in Toronto, police say

Toronto police are asking for the public’s help to find a man they allege robbed and repeatedly punched a woman in the face.

Police say they got a call on Sunday, July 4 at about 6:30 p.m. for an alleged domestic assault in western Toronto (near Old Weston Road and St. Clair Avenue).

Police say a man pushed a woman to the ground, punched her multiple times while she lay there, then choked her until she was unconscious.

Read more:
5 charged after victim allegedly ‘forcibly confined for multiple days,’ Peel police say

When the woman regained consciousness, police say the man then punched her several more times in the face, damaged her property and stole money from her before fleeing.

Du Van Duong, 34, is wanted for assault causing bodily harm, choking to overcome resistance, mischief under $5,000, forcible confinement, uttering death threats and theft under $5,000.

He is described as 5’10“, with a medium build, bald, has brown eyes and police say he may be in the Oshawa, Ont., area.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Edmonton Oilers announce 2-year deal for goalie Mike Smith

WATCH (Sept. 10, 2019): With just days to go ahead of the start of Edmonton Oilers training camp, goaltender Mike Smith id bringing his best to win the number one job between the pipes. John Sexsmith reports.

Goaltender Mike Smith is returning to the Edmonton Oilers for two seasons.

The Oilers announced the deal Saturday morning, two days after general manager Ken Holland said they were in the process of finalizing the contract.

Read more:
Edmonton Oilers select offensive forward Xavier Bourgault in 1st round of NHL entry draft

Smith, 39, went 21-6-2 in the 2021 regular season with a .923 save percentage. In the playoffs, he was 0-4 with a .912 save percentage as the Oilers were swept by the Jets.

Read more:
Edmonton Oilers open NHL regular season Oct. 13 vs. Canucks

He’s spent the last two seasons with the Oilers, posting a record of 40-18-8. Smith has played in 646 NHL regular season games since entering the league in the 2006/07 season.

His new contract has an average annual value of $2.2 million.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

OPP investigating after man commits indecent act in front of mother and child in Simcoe, Ont.

Norfolk OPP are looking for a suspect after a man reportedly committed an indecent act in front of a mother and her 10-year-old child.

Police say around 12:45 p.m. Thursday, a woman and her child were sitting at a picnic table at Dingle Creek in Simcoe, Ont.

Read more:
Man charged following indecent act in Trenton retail store: OPP

A man approached them and sat nearby. The man waved at them and then reportedly committed an indecent act.

The mother and child left the area and contacted police.

OPP describe the suspect as a white man around 50 years old. They say he was medium height with brown hair.

Read more:
22-year-old Waterloo man charged following alleged indecent act at Grand Bend splash pad: OPP

He was wearing brown sunglasses, a blue T-shirt with a muscle shirt underneath and jean shorts.

Anyone with further information or video surveillance is asked to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Body of Lane Tailfeathers found, RCMP investigating death as suspicious

Alberta RCMP confirmed late Friday night that the body of 35-year-old Lane Tailfeathers was found.

Tailfeathers was reported missing on June 20. He was last seen in Fort Macleod.

Read more:
Family of Lane Tailfeathers searches for answers after disappearance: ‘We want to have hope’

On July 20, Alberta Fish and Wildlife reported to Crowsnest Pass RCMP that possible human remains had been found in a rural area. The discovery was made by a rancher near Burmis.

After confirming the report, Alberta RCMP Major Crimes and RCMP Forensic Identification Services were sent to examine the scene.

The autopsy was done July 22.

Tailfeathers’ death is being treated as suspicious. Alberta RCMP Major Crimes have taken over the investigation.

On July 15, his family spoke out about his disappearance.

“He had a lot of friends,” said Tailfeathers’ sister Billi-J Heavyshields. “He was a kind person, and people are offering their help.”

“You know he got into the wrong crowd, that’s all I’m going to say… he got into the wrong crowd, but he’s a very respectful guy,” said Steven Heavyshields, Lane’s father said.

RCMP said an update will be provided when more information is available.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories